A Nightmare Begins

By Mr. David R. Dorrycott


another stupid and badly written Sailor Moon FanFic







            War.


                                      Mindless.


                                                                Senseless.


                                                                                          Destructive.


                                                                                                                    Pointless.



It had come again, this time not from invading aliens, dark realities or human greed. No, this war was Dark’s final attempt to extinguish the Light, the Lights last desperate attempt to vanquish Dark forever. Both actions an impossibility, yet neither side accepting such.


Any town fool would have known the outcome before the first angry word had been spoken. Dark and Light were two sides of the same mirror. One could not exist without the other, leaving only those few timeless neutral forces to shift the balance. Knowing this, both sides acted first to destroy every neutral force within seconds of the battles start. Better they cease to exist than they aid their opponents.

  

Flames soon billowed across once fertile land, a land where death now walked freely. Taking with it all, leaving nothing. Night overcame day, turning a once beautiful afternoon into ash flecked darkness, with air so thick with death none could breath. Not even the victors.


Had there been victors.


Of those who had stood against the darkness, stood together, bravely facing an enemy with no heart, no love, no mercy. None remained standing. Even of the darkness none remained, for so great were those forces unleashed, not only by the combatants, but those mortals who claimed and defended this world, nothing remained. Where cool sea waves had lapped against white sand beaches, now boiling water steamed away from hot green glass. Above all rose tens of thousands of mans thermonuclear mushrooms.


Light had finally defeated Dark, Dark had defeated Light. Each defeated so completely neither would ever return. Yet in doing so a world have been laid sterile. No music played, no child laughed, no bird flew. Not even a single microbe remained to convert sulfur to energy miles beneath the planets surface. No life remained. So great were the powers released that shockwaves traveled the solar system. Soon no life remained on any planet in this system. No moon, no asteroid, no comet, no particle retained a single amino acid molecule. Dark, in its final defeat, had released all its black energy in one final burst of death. As the Light had released its Armageddon force. With no longer any chance for rebirth, even what little survived of the spirt world soon faded away.


Time passed, time once counted as centuries. Yet with none to measure, with black filth still blocking even a single ray of light, none would have known. Rain eventually came again. Drops heated by a boiling atmosphere slashed across powder soft ash, pounding dust into grey muds, cooling near molten elements until over years even the rain cooled. Stones slowly shifted as supporting earth was washed away. Massive slabs of concrete moved. Once floors of some mighty building, now blasted plates burned clean of any human marking they slid slowly into different positions. Centuries more passed before one mighty slab slipped further, overbalanced, then fell away. Leaving behind a gaping hole where once a blue haired girl had made her final stand against a force as greater then her as a Nova was greater than a planet. Within this pit was still dry, powdered ash. Within that ash a blue bubble flickered. For the first time in more than eleven centuries color existed upon Earths surface. Finally even that bubble fell, leaving a single crumpled figure lying on powered stone.


Her eyes opened as a cold rain woke her. Silence greeted her, until for a moment she believed herself deaf. That was, until the rod in her hand scraped across something metallic. Its sharp ring came to her as a far away sound. Not deaf, only stunned. Gathering her strength, what there was of it, she crawled out of her pit. Blackness greeted her, blackness and a cold, acidic tasting rain. In seconds her thin clothing was soaked, light grey ash coating her until she was truly one with her planet again.


“Ami?” her thin voice called. “Kino?” She managed to stand, though upon what she wasn’t certain. For a time she searched for what no longer existed. Finally, one small uncertain step at a time, she began to walk.


Days passed to months, to years. With life again upon its surface the dead planet seemed to relent. Once midnight black skies finally gave way to sunlight, cool winds, soft rain. Yet still no life but one lived upon Earth, and that life was constantly on the move. Her rod had taken long to regain power, yet even fully charged there was nothing she could do. Her power hadn’t been life, that had been her leaders place. At night stars beckoned to her, and the moon. She couldn’t bear to call it by its older names. Luna or Selene. Now it shone brighter than any time in her young life.


Yet even the loss of her friends, her family, every living thing could be pushed away. It was her own body that horrified her. Though she drank when she could there was nothing to fill her belly. Yet not once did she feel hunger. Her uniform, though soiled, had never ripped, never warn. When washed it looked as new as the day she’d first worn it. Whatever the dark had struck her down with, whatever her friend Ami had done to save her, at the cost of her own life, it had changed her.


Long years passed by as she tried to deal with her new world, fought madness, then finally lost that battle too. So it came to pass, one cloudless night, that she stood upon a melted peak. One that had been the tallest mountain upon Earth. Once she would have been called pretty, even attractive. Now in her madness she was stunning. She looked upon the night sky with nothing but madness in her eyes and finally, throwing a beam of eye-searing light into the dark, screamed her challenge to the universe with all her might.


                         Gone was the Light.


                                      Gone was the Dark.


                                                   Gone was love.


                                                                Gone was hate.

 

                                                                             Gone was all balance.


                                                                                          Only Chaos remained.


                                                                                                       And Chaos wore red.


“I am Rei Hino” she screamed in her madness, daring the universe to deny her. “I protect this world. Now, and forever. I am Rei Hino. I am Sailor Mars.”


If it could be said that the universe was alive, that it could hear, that it could understand... Then one would know why the sky filled with falling stars that night. For the universe was crying.